About Me

My Photo
Welcome to the blog of SAVINGFORTRAVEL! I now have 2 blogs: my newest-40 at 40-about my greatest travel experiences and my oldest, the faithful: SFT's LIFE AFTER MORTGAGE-which is in part about funding my travel experiences, the sealed pot challenge and this and that!

SAVING FOR TRAVEL


2014

APRIL: JAPAN

AUGUST: RUSSIA (T.B.C)

OCTOBER: MOROCCO (T.B.C)

DECEMBER: INDIA/NEPAL

2015

MARCH: BURMA (MYANMAR)

Sunday, 17 November 2013

SEALED POT SUNDAY-2 WEEKS TO GO UNTIL THE GRAND OPENING! and STRETCH IT OUT UPDATE

Hi Everyone!

MY 2020 INSPIRATION PICTURE
(photos and pictures that spur me on to save for my sealed pot!)

My Inspiration Picture this week is from  my trip to Zambia in 2005, when I stayed in the South Luangwa Valley. This is the area seen on the fantastic BBC programme: Africa 2013: Countdown to the rains. 

On one game drive I was lucky enough to see a pack of African Wild Dogs. 
They are a highly endangered species and it is thought that only 5000 remain in the whole of Africa! We spent a while watching them play, drink, relax and mate! What a privilege it was.




MY SEALED POT WEEK

This week has gone quite well!

SAVED NOT SPENT-50p off Free Range Eggs using a supermarket coupon


Google Images

FOUND MONEY-5p-At Waterloo Station yesterday.


Google Images

SAVED NOT SPENT-My lovely brother treated me to a delicious Indian meal yesterday at Bangalore restaurant. No we didn't sit in the area up the ladder. My brother did suggest it! We did try some beautiful Indian wine though, which was a new experience.


Google Images

I will be putting half of it £10 my savings from the meal in my pot and the other half will go towards the Phillipines diaster fund.

MR SFT'S EARNINGS-£40 from doing I.T. support. He wants half to go into the pot.

WON MONEY £1.10-From playing cards with my Family. 


Google Images

STRETCH IT OUT NOVEMBER CHALLENGE

Weekly Meal Plan

Monday-Mr Sft-Quorn Curry with rice and Nann Bread/Sft-Scrambled Egg on toast

Tuesday-Mr Sft-Chilli Con Carni with rice/Sft-Boiled Egg with toast

Wednesday-Sft-Baked Beans on Toast

Thursday-Mr Sft-Burger with veggies and mash/Sft-Boiled Egg with toast

Friday-Both-Ploughman's Meal at School Quiz Night

Saturday-Eating at Mr Sft's Parents

Sunday-Both-Veggie Shepherd's Pie

We have now spent exactly half, £50.00 of our £100 budget. We have everything we need for the week (fingers crossed) and then just one more week left. Everything is on course to save the target £20 (but of course we hope more).

I do enjoy the stretch it out challenges. I always think do we NEED it or would we just LIKE it.

HOW WAS YOUR SEALED POT WEEK?

ARE YOU STRETCHING OUT YOUR BUDGETS?

Oh and here is the 2013/2014 SEALED LIST so far!

2013/2014 List so far

1. SFT (ENGLAND)-AFRICA 2020-PART 2-SUDAN & ETHIOPIA

2. MOONWAVES (GERMANY)-BIRTHDAY PRESENT

3. MABELANDMAISY (ENGLAND)-ANNIVERSARY TRIP

4. KELLEY (USA)-FUN GOAL

5. T'POL (TURKEY)-MISCELLANEOUS FUND-FOR GIFTS & UNEXPECTED EXPENSES

6. SUZE (AUSTRALIA)-FAMILY CHRISTMAS OUTING?

7. KAREN (ENGLAND)-FAMILY TREATS FOR CHRISTMAS 2014

8. CAROLE (AUSTRALIA) T.B.C

9. HELEN (ENGLAND) CHRISTMAS 2014

10. NEW WORLD (ENGLAND) ZIMBABWE TRIP

11. SHAZ (NEW ZEALAND) FAMILY REUNION PERTH, AUSTRALIA

12. SARAH AND FAMILY OF 3 (ENGLAND) CHRISTMAS TREAT

13. JUDY Y (AUSTRALIA) CHARITABLE DONATION :)

14. RIKKE (DENMARK) CHRISTMAS 2014

15. PRU (USA) MUSEUM PASS AND A HOLIDAY MEAL

16. SOL (ENGLAND) A NICE HOLIDAY, MAYBE FRANCE

17. PATRICIA (CANADA) T.B.C.

18. JANICE (CANADA) WINTER HOLIDAY

19. FRAN (ENGLAND) T.B.C

20. PETE (ENGLAND) T.B.C

21. STACEY (ENGLAND) OVERPAYING THE  MORTGAGE

22. DONNA (ENGLAND) CHRISTMAS 2014

23. SANDRA (NEW ZEALAND) ANTIQUE FURNITURE

24. SPENDER2SAVER (INDIA) A FAMILY MEAL ON A FLOATING SHIP DOWN THE GANGES

25. ALISON (ENGLAND-AT THE MO) 2014 TRAVEL PLANS

26. SUE (ENGLAND) CHRISTMAS 2014

27. LONESTARSKY (SCOTLAND) T.B.C

28. CHEAPCHICK (CANADA) WEEKENDS AWAY

29. BETTY (ENGLAND) HOLIDAY IN TURKEY


30. COMPOSTWOMAN (ENGLAND) ELECTRIC APPLE SCRATTER


31 LAURA (ENGLAND) ANNIVERSARY MEAL

32 SWEET BLONDIE BLUE EYES (ENGLAND) BIG TRIP SEPTEMBER 2014

33. CHRISTINA (USA) SAVINGS ACCOUNT

34. CATH (UK) WEEKEND AWAY



Sft x

28 comments:

  1. We are hoping to do a big trip in September 2014, I will be opening my pot then for spending money on the trip.

    I am having to use my IPad. My lap top is poorly and at the menders.

    Glad to say that DB is now back on 2 feet and no longer using his crutches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased about DB. X

      I'll add you to the list.

      Sftx

      Delete
  2. I have been very very good, every spare penny has been squirreled away in the savings account and is in 4 figures! I had a massive turn out and sold books, dvd,s, clothes and jewelry. I sold some sewing and donated a heap of stuff as well. I have started a scrappy quilt, to order, which will bring in a great wodge of money in the new year, so that will be a kick start for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been good Pam. I am so pleased. What a lovely feeling you must have had when those savings hit 4 figures :) And I bet you're so happy to have cleared out so much unwanted stuff too.

      So pleased you've got an order for your beautiful quilts :) You are so clever.

      Sft x

      Delete
  3. It's been a very poor week for me :( Skippy only got $2.34 this week. Although I did receive a $15 check in the mail. But I'm not counting that until I can actually get to the bank and cash it. Hopefully by next week that will be in my sealed pots. Have a good week! ~ Pru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least Skippy had a little snack Pru. Hope that cheque clears soon and you can give little skippy a proper feast next week.

      Take care.

      Sft x

      Delete
  4. Some loose change went in my pot. Needed new glasses as the Rx was changed, had to pay out of my pocket but some of the charges will be reimbursed from my health coverage, that cheque will have to go back into my bank account though. Looking at the expense as a birthday gift to me.
    You are doing well with your November savings.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia,

      Loose change all adds up! Glad your health coverage covers some of those charges.

      You always impress me with how well you manage your money.

      Sft x

      Delete
  5. I am still stuffing in every cent I can and that pot is too full. Sometimes it shoots the coins back at me so I shake it and get them in. Like you I have sent some money for the Philippines. I want to organise some special things as I know of one family who have lost everything but no lives. Everyone else I know is safe and thankfully our church sent a mission team into the area a few days before the disaster. Everyone is safe and their plans were altered to help the community they are in. By co-incidence they are in the hardest hit area. I am looking for the next pot. My son wants one too. Good for him.

    I have been working more meals from my Jamie Oliver books. The younger set seem to like the flavours and I have cooked three meals this week that were well received. I did a shoulder of lamb following the roast idea in his new book and turned it into an Indian meal last night. It went down well. Although his meals are not the most frugal there is one huge advantage. The leftovers do make another meal that does not taste strange or off if you follow his recipes. Besides my lamb was half price. So this week I know it will be a lamb curry with potato aloo. Tomorrow will be a very basic roast chicken with the left overs to follow on Wednesday. Then it will be time to dig through the freezer again and think creatively.

    Ia m working on finishing socks, blankets and scarves at present. I am well placed as i have all my Christmas proteins, treats and quite a number of gifts set aside,

    Keep up the excellent work everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing so well Suze, filling every gap in the pot. Not much longer now.

      I am so sorry to hear about your friends in the Philippines. It's such a terrible tragedy.

      I did smile when I read your son wants a pot too. Does he want me to add him to the list? I love that so many family buy into this challenge.

      I think I know the Jamie Oliver book you mean and it's great that you can make so much for one piece of meat.

      Good luck with those presents. Homemade presents are the best. You sound very organised with your Christmas. We have got a few bits too.

      Sft x

      Delete
  6. Well done on another great week!

    Only the regular payment of $10 from my pay this week, plus maybe a few coins. Still excited for opening to see how we've all done. It's so encouraging to know we'll all be opening our pots and excited to see the results at the same time.

    Going okay with the November stretch it out as well. Still tucking away $25 per fortnight for my Christmas food and haven't had to touch it yet (well I don't think I have, i'm a bit vague sometimes!). The only thing for Christmas that I have bought so far is a Heston Blumenthal Christmas pud. Normally I'm the only one who eats it so don't bother at all, but Roge saw this advertised on telly (it has a whole orange in the centre) and he thought it looked interesting so we decided to get one to try it out. Cost us $18 so hopefully it's worth it!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. We are staying strong.

      Those regular payments will soon add up. And little coins. I am VERY excited about the opening to see how well we've all done-so wonderful to think it will be happening across the world.

      You are doing great with the SION too-it will make such a difference to your Christmas. I'd be interested to hear how your HB Christmas pud tastes :)

      Sft x

      Delete
  7. 20p found on the bus... but it feels really full, now! Might need a bigger tub next year..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever found 20p, 10p my max :)

      Glad your tub is really full! I'm aiming for a bigger one next year too.

      Sft x

      Delete
  8. I found the perfect tin for next time. It says that it is a holiday saving tin and that when filled with $1 and $2 it will hold over $1000. I chose it as it is slightly bigger but not so big that I could not lift it at the end. I also found a tin that will keep a tally of the amount that is in it. However it is openable and not sealed. Slight fault in this household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suze,

      Glad you've found a perfect tin for the next challenge-the holiday tin sounds very clever-and $1000 is a great amount to aim for. Your other tin sounds clever too. If not fool proof.

      Sft x

      Delete
  9. Our Sealed Pot has not done well yet again this week, the poor things looking at me all reproachfully!!. I don't know how much there will be on the grand opening, but I have a back up plan of Nectar points saved up to give me a decent amount to buy all our Christmas shopping, there's over £40 there already so we'll not starve or go too thirsty ;-)

    I see your menu plan makes good use of the bargain free range eggs :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you've got everything organised as always Sue-Nectar/Clubcard points are really handy in times of crisis.

      I'm enjoying my daily egg. Those eggs were a really good deal.

      Sft x

      Delete
  10. You seem to be doing well with your use it up challenge. Hope you will have more than £20 to put in your pot. You are so organised and motivated. Unfortunately nothing went in my pot this week. I did have a £2 coin in my purse which I had earmarked for the pot but I had to use it to pay for some items because the card machine wasn't working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly staying strong on our challenge, with the occasion treat to keep us going. It does help to be organised and my 2020 helps motivate us.

      Sorry to hear that you lost your £2! It's a pain when unexpected expenses crop up.

      Sft x

      Delete
  11. Not much went in my pot either, but good news I am still working 6 days a week and hubby has ongoing full time work with the agency, so pulling in serious money at present. Not sure hot long it will last for, hoping for at least 4 weeks for me. I was doing very well (unintentionally) stretching out the budget, but I went looking for bargains the last couple of days and have managed to almost blow the food budget for the month, but our little ice box is crammed full!! I have finally decided what we will use the 'pot' money for - we have booked time away in Edinburgh for New Year and managed to get tickets to some of the events. We have been to London before at New Year, and always wanted to do Edinburgh too, so decided as we have been somewhat restricted with our travels this year we would go for it. I just hope it is not wet and blustery like it normally is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison

      So happy that you and hubby are getting lots of work. Long may it continue!
      How lovely to pop up to Edinburgh for New Year. I went there with my Mum. I must blog about that, we had a lovely time.

      Sft x

      Delete
  12. well hubbie won £!5 on the lottery so that went in my pot. I have seen dogs like those in Kenya years ago but didn't know they were endangered, we had to keep well away from them as they were wild but looked hungry and desperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely that your hubby donated his winnings to the pot. African Wild Dogs are found in a tiny part of Kenya so you doubly lucky to see them. I certainly wouldn't go close they are vicious.

      Sft x

      Delete
  13. Oh well done SFT, you are doing so well :-)

    I really like your idea of posting photos of your inspiration. I think I am going to start a mood board or something to give me a visual focus of my aims xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey

      Thanks. I have inspirations photos all over our little cottage. It helps to focus the mind and keep us on track.

      Sft x

      Delete
  14. Glad you have had another good week.

    You are right of course with your SION challenge by asking yourself if you NEED something or would just LIKE something.

    Thank goodness I am not participating as I've has serious blowouts this month with Henry home from uni now for the summer - boy he can eat! I don't mind really as he is working long hours and using lots of energy plus he is still growing.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi S,

      We are keeping strong on the SION challenge.

      I'm so glad you're spoiling your boy. He deserves it, and I love to hear about how hard he works.

      Sft x

      Delete